Wednesday, November 7, 2012

How far can a chicken go?

I'm not too worried about my chicken crossing the road...but I am interested in sharing how far a simple baked chicken can go as far as meals are concerned.

Recently, I purchased two whole plain rotisserie chickens from a local grocery store for $8.62 including tax.  I have divided it up and so far have made pretty good use.  Some of these have been frozen for future use & some have been devoured!
  • plain chicken as entree for 5 preschool meals
  • barbecue chicken as an entree for 5 preschool meals
  • 1 adult sliced chicken breast sandwich
  • 4 quarts of chicken broth for chicken noodle soup (so far has provided side dish for 4 preschooler lunches, lunch for a family of four and about a quart remains)
  • 8 really meaty chicken quesadillas for a family of four
  • 4 drumsticks (they were kind of small) for 2 quick schoolager meals
  • 2 cups (approximately) of plain, chopped up chicken to use for bbq chicken or chicken chili to feed a family of four.
Now that I have made the human meals...I think I am going to boil the scrap bones down until they are soft enough to puree with the skin in the food processor to add to my cat's food for extra flavor.

No comments:

  • It takes just a moment to change your attitude. And, in that quick moment, you can change your entire day!